Monday, January 16, 2012

How deep is your love?

I love you with all of my heart . . . I love you with all of my soul. . . I love you with all that I am. . . I love you from the bottom of my heart or from the depths of my soul. . . I love you more than words can say.   Many of us have used one of the above phrases to express the amount of love we have for a loved one, or something similar.  Do any of these phrases clearly state the amount of love directed towards the individual?  Can love be measured?  If so what unit of measure would we use?  Does love need to be measured?

Quantifying things is necessary for us to make sense of the world.  For example, how many times a day do we look at a clock for the time of day, how many purchases do we make every day or week with x amount of dollars, and how many people ask what today's date is daily?  Numbers are necessary for everyday life  just as units of measure are such as pounds, ounces, liters, quarts, gallons, kilometers, and miles.

How deep is your love?  Is it as full as a gallon of milk, long as a mile, or heavy as a ton of bricks?  Since love cannot be measured using these units, none of the above question have answers.  Let's see if we can find a measurement of love with the initial statements.  I love you with all of my heart/soul/that I am, and I love you from the depths of my heart/soul.  These statements say our hearts/souls love.  If they love, how much do they love?  How much does a whole heart/soul actually love?  The abstractness of these 'human parts' makes it entirely to difficult to make any sort of measurement since the parts themselves have no unit of measure.  I love you more than words can say.  Although this statement is similar to the others by having no unit of measure, it varies.  What does more than words can say mean?  We do not know exactly, but we begin to get an understanding of the power of love.  Love transends language, thought, and any other human experience we feel.  It needs no unit of measurement because it is to vast to measure.  Do not limit love by trying to measure it, but let it be free by experincing, enjoying, and enriching it.

In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities. - Janos Arany

No comments:

Post a Comment